Follow along as sisters Brianna and Ashley, founders of duck+chick, assemble and customize our Alyssa Crossbody Kit. Follow their step-by-step tutorial to get started!
1. Cut or tear the tissue paper in the shape you want.
2. Lay the tissue paper on the leather in any design or pattern.
3. Use a spray bottle to wet the tissue. (Tip: Make sure the tissue is really soaking in so the dye will bleed onto the leather.)
4. Wait for it to dry, then peel the tissue paper off to see if all the dye is on the leather. (Tip: If the dye did not bleed onto the leather, spray it again.)
5. Assemble using the step-by-step kit instructions.
5. All done! Take your new custom dyed crossbody on the go.
Sisters Brianna and Ashley started their leathercraft journey in 2019 with the goal of raising money to donate to nonprofits. They chose to work with leather because “it smelled really good” and they loved the uniqueness of each hide. A family friend taught them some basics of leathercraft and gave them scraps and old tools to play with. After much practice, they found themselves at Tandy, buying their first vegetable tanned double shoulder to hand dye and make into leather bracelets. Their products were a hit at their school’s vendor fair where they donated proceeds to their school and also to a nonprofit that provides flocks of ducks and chicks for families in need (hence their business name @itsduckandchick). They have since learned to make more products and have raised over $12,000 to donate to various nonprofit organizations.